Sunday, November 23, 2008

Early Snow, Mountains Revisited

I refuse to title this post "Update", although, as requested (forcefully) by my younger sister, that's essentially what I'm doing. I'd like to apologize for my disappearance the last couple weeks. Midterms and research papers can do that to a person.

To be quite honest, the babble of homework in my brain makes it difficult for me to remember what I've done since I last wrote. People are always asking me, "So what did you do for the weekend?" When I can't answer, they cock an eyebrow and say something along the lines of, "That fun, eh?" So I turned to my camera for inspiration, hoping to find something to jog my memory.

Bingo.


I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but—IT SNOWED a couple weeks ago. It only lasted the morning, but as I set out for school there was still enough to give me the holiday shivers.


I also went early on a Friday morning to the Provo Temple. It sits at the top of the foothills, offering an awesome view of the valley, the lake, and the mountains on the other side. It was a beautiful morning. I don't know if you've ever really paid attention to clouds before, but the clouds that morning were spectacular. They hung very low over the mountains. There's something about clouds hanging over mountain tops. Every once in a while they'd move just enough to give you a glimpse of the peaks, frosted with newly-fallen snow, before closing like curtains, hiding their handiwork.



I love the statue of Moroni on top of the Temple. I know it's the exact same one on top of every temple, but I love it every time I see it. I like the way his chest lifts towards the sky and his robes billow slightly behind him, as though he's leaning against the wind.



When I came out of the Temple I fully intended to go home, but I kept gazing up at the clouds and the snow on Mount Timponogos, and soon found myself driving past the Temple, further up into the mountains. I stopped to snap a picture, but I couldn't capture the image I was seeing with a photo, no matter how many I took. I wasn't high enough. Then I saw that I could go higher, so I did and found a big boulder to stand on. Better. Then another road appeared, venturing even higher. I followed it. When I arrived at the highest spot I could reach without continuing on foot, I took more photos. I was still dissatisfied, but it was the best I could do. I mostly tried to get an unobstructed view, but I actually kind of like the effect of these wires descending into the valley. I suddenly really wished I could ride them like Kevin in Home Alone. What a rush that would be!



Here's Timponogos. I wish I could show you what it looked like when the clouds parted ever so sheepishly to show the peak, but it was as though they knew I had a camera. So, I took a few more pictures, still hoping vainly to capture the feeling I had while looking down from the mountain.



That collection of slightly taller buildings comprises the approximate center of BYU campus. It was weird being able to see it in its entirety when just walking from one end to the other seems endless.


That fuzzy little white building with the pointy thing on top is the Mount Timponogos Temple. It's actually quite a distance from Provo. I was proud of my poor little lens.

There are a couple more things I've done recently which I'll have to relate later—at the moment I need to pack. In two days I'll be winging my way to California for Thanksgiving! I could do a jig I'm so excited. For now I'll leave you with the following:



Before I forget I must testify to the fact that coasting down a mountain in my tiny little car has to be one of the scariest and funnest things anyone could do.

4 comments:

Caroline said...

You don't post often enough.

So Average Adult said...

MORE MORE MORE!!!!

So Average Adult said...

Over Christmas break you had BETTER post SOMETHING or I'm going to scream!

So Average Adult said...

So I want to hear ALL about how school has been going. Why don't you tell us what new classes you are taking or something?