Thursday, December 23, 2010

12/13

No snow last week! I was very surprised. A few flurries here and there, but so far we've been spared the blizzards we've heard about around other parts of the country.
I was greeted by a wonderful surprise Wednesday at Zone Meeting. Sister Greenwood, with whom I was companions my third transfer, finished her mission and went home, and guess who came to replace her??? SISTER COPE, MY GREENIE!!!! I was so excited to see her again, and so soon! Her companion also went home, Sister Cope went to Barnegat, and they've put Elders in my beloved Hoboken. I wasn't sure how I felt about THAT until I found out it's Elder Lebaron. I know he'll do well there and our investigators will be well taken care of. However, I will admit that I was clinging to the hope that I would go back to Hoboken at the end of my mission, which now is impossible. Don't worry, I do love Toms River, but after 7 months in Jersey City, there's no way any other area is ever going to compare. Oh well. Thank goodness I've got a testimony that there is plenty of work to do everywhere, even if the streets are not swarming with people. Even if they're quite desolate, actually.
But I'm happy to report a good week! Faith and works work every time. We had more members coming out with us, taught more lessons, and set two more people with baptismal dates! Zonia is preparing for Jan. 2, Joan for Jan. 23. We taught Zonia the Word of Wisdom the other day and were pleasantly surprised to find that she's already living it. Joan is a hoot. She is a very elderly lady who grunts in reply to most of what you say, but she agrees with everything we've taught and very easily accepted a baptismal invitation. She's the sort that could be overjoyed inside but would still stare at you like you've got antlers.
The ward put on a very ambitious Christmas program the other night, complete with full Christmas dinner, a play, activities, and a Nativity scene. The play was hilarious. The two lead roles were played by elderly sisters, who forgot most of their lines and shouted them at each other when the other forgot or lost her place. I enjoyed it much more than I would have a perfect, polished performance. Many of our investigators came and a lot of members brought their friends. I'm so proud of our ward! They're such good missionaries.
Well, I just love you. Not much more I can say than that. 'Til next week!
Love,
Sister Black

No comments: