Tuesday, October 5, 2010

8/30

Can I just tell you how much I love our investigators? We've had some really good experiences with a lot of them this week. Let me tell you about some of them.

Once upon a time, Sister Bean and I were doubled into an area with very little happening. Our area book did not look too pretty, but we did their best and began visiting potential and former investigators. One of them was Sylvester Wright. He is from Sierra Leone and has worked as a translator for the UN. He became familiar with the church in Africa and obtained a copy of the Book of Mormon, but never actively investigated the church. When Sister Bean and I met him he had read a great deal, but did not want to meet with the missionaries until he had finished reading it. We managed to get a return appointment, but through a series of cancellations, reschedulings, and unreturned phone calls we decided to return him to the area book, to be checked up on at some future point.

Fast forward a few months and our area had been combined with Hoboken, Sister Bean had been transferred, I served in a trio with Sister Fonua and Sister Tolman, Sister Tolman had been transferred, and I am now training Sister Cope in a trio with Sister Fonua. Phew. We decided that we needed to spend some more time in what we now call the "north" area (previously its own area, North Bergen), and after all our plans fell through and we were aimlessly roaming the streets of West New York, Sylvester Wright popped into my head. So we stopped by and knocked on his door. His wife proceeded to yell at us through the door that he no longer lives there and she doesn't understand why people keep coming by, etc., etc. We called a cheerful, "Have a nice day!" and continued on our way.

A few days later I was still thinking about Sylvester, so Sister Cope found his number and gave him a call. He answered! An appointment was scheduled and we returned and taught him at his door. This time Sylvester said that he feels the Book of Mormon is true because it agrees completely with the Bible, and because of the Spirit he feels with him when he reads it. Sylvester said that in order to find joy and be close to God we must be willing to find His will for us, follow His Spirit and faithfully obey. The Spirit filled the hallway, and yielding to its guidance we testified of the restored gospel and committed Sylvester to be baptized on September 12.

It was one of the best lessons I think we've had. It was so clear in my mind what needed to be said and done, and Sylvester's prayer before we left was beautiful. He prayed to be led by the Spirit to know if he should be baptized on the 12th and requested that same Spirit to be poured out on Sister Cope, Sister Fonua and me as we continued to bring the gospel to others.

I wish I had more time to tell you about our lessons with Pat and Manny this week. Ach! I'll tell you about them next week.

Love yas!

Sister Black

No comments: