Monday, November 29, 2010

11/22

I remember once telling a friend near the end of my senior year in highschool that I could see my life before me like a rollercoaster just before you go over that first drop. The anticipation is agonizing getting all the way to the top, then you go over the edge--and before you know it, the ride is over. This week felt like I was going over the edge of my mission. After this week there is only one week left of the transfer, and with so much packed into the next month I know it is going to fly by. We spent three days in Morristown at Leadership Training, which was pure inspiration. The curriculum did not vary in the least from last time, but I feel like I took a whole different course. I particularly enjoyed the roleplays this time. I really put my heart and soul into it and found a lot of answers as to how to help some of our investigators. Our numbers took a huge dive due to our absence, which for me produces a sensation similar to that of nails on a chalkboard. BUT I feel very blessed to have been able to attend again, and Sister Bluth and I have noticed a positive difference in our teaching and the way that the message has been received by our investigators over the last couple days.
Last night we taught Lenore and Tom and found, to our great pleasure, that they had done their homework! They both seemed to have enjoyed the assignment that we gave them, and after a very short, extremely barebones lesson we watched the Restoration video with them. Tom, who usually sits quietly in a corner and only grins and nods when you speak to him, seemed particularly captivated. Afterward we asked him what he thought and how he felt. "Seems pretty true," he said, shrugging. Sister Bluth and I didn't know exactly how to respond to that, so we asked him if he believed that Joseph Smith had seen Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. He nodded and said, "Seems pretty plausible." We couldn't get a more definitive answer out of him than that, so we asked him to pray that night to know if the Book of Mormon was true, and if Joseph Smith was a prophet. he accepted wholeheartedly and said the closing prayer before we left. In his prayer he said, "Please help me to realize that the Book of Mormon is true." He and Lenore both asked when we were coming back, and we scheduled another appointment for tonight! We are planning to set Tom with a date to join his wife, who is preparing to be baptized in January.
In other wonderful news--we had our last choir practice today for the Missionary Christmas Fireside this Sunday, and I got to see Sister Cope. CAROLYN AND CYNTHIA ARE GETTING BAPTIZED ON SATURDAY!!!!!!! I almost passed out. They got tired of waiting for Felix to come around and asked Sister Cope and Sister Child one day, "Is it ok if we get baptized?" My heart aches to be there and see them. I still remember contacting them on the street and teaching them for the first time back in April, and I am so grateful to know that they are finally taking this step. I wish there was a way I could stow away to Jersey City, but preparing people to be baptized by other missionaries is a common occurance in a missionary's life that I suppose I must accept.
Well, that's about all, folks. I am doing my best to prepare for perpetual stomach expansion this week. We had an early Thanksgiving dinner last night, actually, turkey, ham, stuffing, potatoes and all. AND THEY GAVE ME SOUTHERN COMFORT EGG NOG. Naturally they ascended to the top of my favorite people list pretty much instantly. Sister Sosa is another Osmond fan--Donny looks back at you from all over her apartment. So far we have only one appointment for Thanksgiving, so maybe it won't be too bad, after all.
I love you all! Happy Thanksgiving! Think of me when you get full, because I'll STILL be eating! :)
With thanks,
Sister Black

No comments: