Monday, March 28, 2011

3/21

Good morning! It's raining outside, and the grass is turning green! It was over 70 degrees the other day, and RITA'S IS OPEN! Rita's Italian Ice is one of the necessary destinations in New Jersey, and we have been pining for it all winter. My favorite gelati combination is coconut ice with chocolate custard. :) And a miracle happened there on Friday. Sister Cope and I were driving up the 9 on our way to check on a potential investigator. As usual, I gazed at Rita's as we approached it, wondering when it would return from hibernation--and then I noticed a long line of people at the window. "RITA'S IS OPEN!!!" I screeched, and Sister Cope slammed on the brakes and pulled into the parking lot. We hadn't had lunch yet that day, and we thought Rita's more than a suitable alternative. As we were placing our orders I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned around. Nadine was standing in line behind us! Nadine has met with missionaries on and off for years and LOVES them, but stresses in her life right now made her feel that our meetings had best be postponed until further notice. But there she was with her husband, Gary, and we sat in the sunshine with our treats and talked for almost an hour about families, crumbling standards in the world, and other concerns they have. We told them about Family: A Proclamation to the World and testified of how the gospel has helped us overcome some of those same concerns, and they invited us to come see them on Tuesday (cue angelic chorus)! Excitement.
Another miracle. This week Sister Cope prayerfully did a lot of pruning. When we were done and we looked at our teaching pool, it felt very much like we'd been doubled in. The week had been slow and we were worried we wouldn't accomplish much, but we finished our epic weekly planning session on Thursday determined to find some new stellar investigators. Sister Cope picked a spot on the map and we started walking. Within a half hour we ran into a family chilling on their porch, introduced ourselves, explained our purpose, and asked if anyone would be interested. After a very awkward pause while everyone stared blankly at us, 14-year-old Patty said, "That's what's up, yes!" So we taught her and her little sister Taylor about the Book of Mormon and they ate it up. We're going to see them again on Tuesday.
Next week I need to tell you about our investigator Ian. Don't let me forget. For now just picture a 60-year-old man with snow-white hair and beard, a green beanie which I have never seen his head without, and garb befitting an outdoorsman. He loves the Book of Mormon. We read Alma 32 with him the other day, which he LOVED because his fingernails are perpetually encrusted with garden soil. He has a metal dragon in his backyard that we woke up at 4 in the morning one day and decided he was going to make. Just for kicks. He is the human version of Treebeard.
I love New Jersey. I love being a missionary. I love all y'all. :)
Sister Black

No comments: