Good week behind us! Ray is still on target for July 11, we had an awesome lesson with him and Bro. Arguelles at church yesterday. We see him 3+ times a week now, and he continues to soak everything up. He insists that he's a "toughie", but he accepts commitments with very little, if any, resistance.
You don't know about the Arguelles family--I don't think. They are good friends with the Osmonds and are our adopted family out here in North Bergen. They live in Secaucus (pronouced SEE-kwah-kis or Suh-KWAH-kis, depending on what type of Jersey accent the person you're talking to happens to have) and have two awesome kids. Stephanie served a mission in good ol' Fort Worth, Spanish speaking, and AJ, 10, insists that he's going to serve in Haiti ever since the earthquake hit. Both Bro. and Sis. Arguelles were baptized as teenagers after being Osmond fans and wanting to know more about the church. They are some of the "oldest" members in this area, and still remember the days when sacrament meeting was held in a little rented room in Jersey City and the then ranch included members from all over northern NJ. Every time we come Sis. Arguelles herds us into the kitchen, opens the fridge and pantry, and says, "Sit, girls. EAT." I LOVE them to DEATH. The longer I am out the more I fall in love with the members here--both in this area and my last--especially ones who, like my own parents, are pioneer members, the first in their families. Their stories are inspiring. Their testimonies lift our hearts and give us the strength to go back out after a hard day. Seeing the sacrifices they make to build the kingdom out here makes me more and more grateful for all of you!
Another all-mission conference coming up next week, at which time we will finally meet the long-awaited-and-anticipated Cherry Hill missionaries. I am so torn! I love North Bergen, but I want really badly to go down to Cherry Hill, as well. We'll see what happens. In the mean time, we found several new amazing people to teach this week, Ray is doing well, INDEPENDENCE DAY IS COMING, and I get to play the organ that day because the organist is out of town!!!!!!! I am so excited. I really hope the music lady chooses The Star-Spangled Banner. How could she not? OH my goodness. Caroline, you have to find the recipe for cherry slab-pie and send it to me, I don't think the holiday will be right without it! I can't wait to see how they celebrate the 4th Jersey-style.
No comments:
Post a Comment