Well the 4th is HUGE out here, and the library was still closed yesterday, so sorry for the delay. It was a fun day. We went to a barbecue at the Arguelles' and ate our weight in kabasi, sauerkraut, hot dogs, burgers, deviled eggs, potato salad, and many varieties of pies, cakes and jello. We didn't get to listen to them, but we heard that the Motab was in Manhattan performing during the fireworks, which were plentiful on both sides of the river. The show nearest us in Union City was spectacular--they were shooting them off from each port all up and down the Hudson, and they were timed perfectly to go off at the same time. We didn't get to see much of it, but enough that I say we've got to come back next year! President gave us permission to stay up a little later and go see fireworks last night, and we went as a zone to Summit to enjoy some Rita's gelati and see a pretty good show.
We got a call from the assistants Sunday night. Sister Bean is being transferred :( and...drumroll...the North Bergen and Hoboken areas are combining, and I am going to be in a trio with Sister Fonua and Sister Tolman! :D There are MANY changes coming with Cherry Hill joining us, not just transfers. We are getting new phones (yippee), and mail will be collected only twice a month. SO. Probably anybody who wants to send mail should send it to my new apartment:
170 Bowers St.
Jersey City, NJ
..........google the zip
There's another all-mission conference tomorrow, where we will finally meet the new missionaries and we will probably be learning about other changes as well. I can't even tell you how excited I am to meet the new sisters! I can't wait for tomorrow.
AND RAY IS GETTING BAPTIZED THIS SUNDAY!!!!!!
'Nuff said.
So when you're a missionary, pretty much EVERYTHING has a gospel application. I've been really excited for the 4th of July. I think it would be almost an understatement to say that we are a patriotic family and that we recognize the blessing it is to live in the good ol' USA and to enjoy the freedoms that we do. We know that this country had its beginning in people's desire to have the freedom to worship as they saw fit. As I have pondered these things this week, I couldn't help but think about 1 Nephi 13, where Nephi sees Columbus and the colonies and the eventual emergence of the US in vision--and how instrumental and VITAL this country has been in the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ and the carrying forth of that gospel--in the form of the Book of Mormon--to the world. This is the only place that it could have happened. I am so grateful to have that gospel and to have this precious freedom. I talk to many people from very many different countries on a daily basis, and despite all its flaws and imperfections as a nation ruled by humans, everyone seems to agree that it is the greatest nation on the earth. And THIS is why. NOT because we of ourselves merit anything more than others, but because God has blessed us so much and has chosen this land to bring forth His gospel.
I could go on forever. I'm so grateful for the blessings Heavenly Father has poured out on me, our family, and this nation. There really isn't room enough to receive it all. I love you all so much! Have a wonderful week!
<3 <3 <3
Sister Black
No comments:
Post a Comment