Life in a trio is crazy. It's like a slumber party all the time, except that we're constantly on the go, going on splits with members, trying to cover as much ground as possible and we sag into bed every night. Sister Fonua would admit wholeheartedly that she is an absolute slave-driver, but I have never worked so hard nor felt so good in my life! She's teaching me the real meaning of hard work. If any of you thinks you know what hard work is, just ask Sister Fonua. She'll set you straight and rock your world. Sister Tolman is two months into her mission and reminds me every day of what it felt like to be a greenie. She has the biggest heart of anybody I know and is incredibly sensitive to the Spirit. Like every new missionary, she doesn't know a lot. But she has a huge testimony and a sincere desire for the welfare and salvation of others, and she doesn't give up. I love both my companions so much! We'll be together a minimum of three weeks, and I have a feeling it's going to go by way too fast. Chances that we'll stay together after that are pretty small.
Ray was not baptized yesterday. Sister Fonua says that she has never had a smooth baptism, so I'm trying not to get too hysterical about it. The adversary works the hardest on people immediately before and after baptism. Going through this experience with Ray has made me wonder what it was like for you and Dad? I know it can't have been easy, but perhaps looking back through years of experiece and increased understanding makes it seem so? Right now Ray feels like his whole world is being turned upside down and is having a hard time adjusting, even if it's true and even if it's a good thing. He still knows he wants to be baptized and is having another interview on Friday. In the mean time we're wracking our brains to figure out what we can do to help him feel more secure, especially about Joseph Smith. Book of Mormon? Best book in the world. Word of Wisdom? Check. Tithing? Piece of cake. Law of Chastity? No sweat. Joseph Smith?...Not so much. So that's the story right now.
BUT. We found bajillions of new people to teach this week. One of the coolest experiences was when I was on splits with our member Sister Sabo. While the other sisters were checking on less-actives, we went to contact media referrals. After several failed attempts, we caught one at home, Jose. He's only fifteen and is a member of a group started by and for teens called FIGHT (Faith In God Holds Truth). He and a handful of other youth in the area are striving to help their peers go to church and have more faith in their lives. They saw that they could get free Bibles from us, so they all ordered them. Jose called up his buddies and Sister Sabo and I were able to teach three young boys and schedule a return appointment, to which they will bring their twelve other group members! We gave them copies of the Book of Mormon, committed them to read, and will be meeting them at the West New York chapel today. Can't wait to see what happens!
Time to go. I love you!!!
Sister Black
No comments:
Post a Comment