Monday, January 24, 2011

1/17

I really need to learn to type faster. There is way too much to tell you in so little time, so here goes:
Sister Bluth is getting transferred. Today will be very busy getting everything done and getting her all packed. Then off to transfer conference in Short Hills tomorrow, which will most likely be an all-day event. Two hours up, a long delay because it never starts on time, and three-plus hours back with traffic. Hopefully we'll get back in time for ward correlation and Mark Sevoia's baptismal interview!
Mark's doing great. I have never seen such a humble investigator, or such a true demonstration of D&C 20:37--"...All those who humble themselves before God, and desire to be baptized, and come forth with broken hearts and contrite spirits, and witness before the church that they have truly repented of all their sins, and are willing to take upon them the name of Jesus Christ, having a determination to serve him to the end, and truly manifest by their works that they have received of the Spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins, shall be received by baptism into his church"--these are the qualifications for baptism, and Mark is meeting them beautifully. The love between him and his son is a wonderful thing to witness. Through the two short weeks that we've been meeting with him, I really feel like I have been nothing more than a witness to the love and power of God working in two people's lives. After our lesson with him about the Word of Wisdom, Mark nervously stopped drinking coffee, expecting horrible withdrawals. After 20-something years of waking up every morning and driving to Wawa for a cup of coffee, Mark found that he doesn't miss it. AT ALL. We met with him at the Bishop's home the other night, and after Mark relating this to us, Little Mark immediately piped up, "That's the power of the Atonement!" And I know it's true. Nothing else could create the change that we've seen in Mark. He will be baptized this Sunday at 1:00pm by his son, just a few days before he leaves for his own mission. Ach! I can't get over how cool it all is. I'm so grateful to have been able to participate in all this--and that's really all I've done! That's all any of us missionaries really does is choose to participate in the Lord's work, to be a microscopic part of a huge miracle machine. It's awesome.
Went on exchange with my awesome greenie, Sister Cope, who really isn't a greenie anymore. She has grown into a powerhouse missionary and I am very proud of her, although I know I had nothing to do with it. During our day together we set a baptismal date, found a new investigator and received two referrals from members. The "rising generation" of the mission continues to be better and better than the last. It was great to share memories of our beloved Jersey City together. We mostly quoted our experiences there like you would the latest blockbuster. I'm so grateful for all the places I've been able to serve. I think Toms River is my last. With this and next transfer left, I don't think I'm going anywhere, and my next companion will probably be my last as well. Such a strange thought. The outside world is so foreign to me now. Hopefully I won't be too weird when you arrive in April.
Enough of that. I love you.
Sister Black

No comments: