Monday, January 10, 2011

1/9

Last week brought one miracle after another. Sister Bluth and I have both been sick all week and the weather turned against us, but we know our purpose and had the Lord's strength to do what we could not on our own. We reached or surpassed all the mission standards but one. Long-lost investigator Tracey has overcome some big obstacles and is preparing for baptism this Sunday. Mark Sevoia is preparing to be baptized the Sunday after by his son, who has completely changed his life and is preparing to leave for his own mission in Utah on Jan 26. Many more people have committed to be baptized in the coming weeks/months. More members came out with us this week than I've seen since I got here. Sister Lafond spent several hours with us on Friday, and when an appointment with a part-member family fell through we asked to share a message with their cousin, who answered the door. Brandon invited us inside, and we quickly discovered that he was the only one of his family not to be baptized into the church, that he still reads the Book of Mormon, wants to marry his girlfriend and is searching for the truth so that he can raise his family in the right way. He said, "There are so many denominations out there, and they all have bits and pieces of the truth--it is like someone took a sheet of paper and tore it up into pieces, and everyone is trying to pick them up and put them back together". We explained to him that what he was describing was called the apostasy. "You mean that's real? I thought that was something I just came up with!" he said. "I've been reading the Bible and the Book of Mormon, asking God to give me understanding and show me the right way. That is what He taught me." Brandon readily agreed to meet with us again and to be baptized.
I wish I had time to tell you everything. Just know that this is the Lord's work and that He knows how to conduct it. We can either unite ourselves with Him and be instruments through which His purposes are accomplished, or we can stand by and watch the Kingdom be built without us.
I love you!
Sister Black

No comments: