Monday, January 24, 2011

1/24

So I have to tell you a story. Tuesday Sister Bluth and I said farewell to her favorite members and investigators, then began the long trip up to Short Hills for transfer conference. The ride was uneventful and we made it a little before 1:30, when the conference was scheduled to start. A lot of missionaries were transfered this time around. The chapel was full of nervous missionaries, sharing memories of past areas and investigators, getting together with favorite companions, analyzing the turn-out and theorizing who would go where and with whom. The first Sister I laid eyes on was Sister White, my MTC companion. We got along at the MTC, but oh what friends we've become! Back in December at the all-mission conference we bombarded Pres. Bahr and demanded that he reopen Jersey City (where we have both served) to Sisters and double us in for our last transfer. He just smiled at us. So while waiting for the conference to start we sat and reminisced about the MTC and Jersey City and how great it would be if we could be companions again. But that would never happen because we are the same mission age, we only have two transfers left, and we would most likely finish our missions together and leave our last area at the same time--and besides which, it would be too perfect and we would kick everyone's trash and baptize a bajillion people. There's no way President would let us off that easy. The conference finally started and we bounced in our seats as he read off the transfers one zone at a time. There were some surprising changes--two spanish missionaries put in English areas! Sister Bluth was sent to Scotch Plains to be with Sister Neves, a hilarious little Sister from Brazil. My heart jumped when President said, "Zone 7, Eatontown (or the Shore) Zone..." Elder Rosas was announced as our new Zone Leader, among other changes, and I waited anxiously to hear my name. "Sister J. White," President Bahr began, and that was all I needed to hear. I squealed, started jumping out of my seat and repeatedly punched Sister White in the arm, who was busy signing another missionary's journal and hadn't heard her name. "Sister! Sister! Sister!" was all I could get out. Sister Cook came to my rescue--"Sister White, that's YOU!" she said. She finally caught on, screeched, and tackled me.
So that's my story. I LOVE SISTER WHITE SO MUCH!!! I've never felt so united with a companion. We both understand our purpose and have a vision for this area and what we can accomplish in the next two transfers. We both know what needs to happen and are so ready to hit the pavement. She already is such good friends with the members and our investigators, too. The only problem is that we are both a bit ADD and could spend the entire day just talking to each other or poking each other or throwing things at each other.
After some fear that it wouldn't go through, lots of praying, and a great deal of help and counsel from our district leader, Mark was baptized and confirmed by his son yesterday. He overcame doubts, addictions, temptations, trials and fears, having forged a strong bond with his son and a much closer relationship with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. After coming up out of the water he just held on to his son and sobbed. Of all the many baptisms I've attended as a missionary, I have never felt the Spirit so strongly as I did there. We love Mark so much and are so excited for him. His future is bright--we've both sensed it as we've taught him over the last few days. Agh! I love being a missionary!!!! It's the best. And I love you. Bunches.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE,
Sister Black

No comments: