Sunday, February 27, 2011

2/21

Roy's baptism was the best yet. Roy is one of the most special people I have taught on my mission. I can sense that the Lord has great things in store for him. Over the 3-4 weeks that we've been teaching him he has listened so carefully, absorbed everything we've taught, studied and prayed about it and done additional research on the side. After interviewing with him Bishop Barton decided that he was worthy and prepared to receive the Aaronic Priesthood very soon after baptism and gave him multiple manuals and chapters in D&C to study. Roy all but committed what he learned to memory and explained both Preisthoods, including their offices and responsibilities, to us the next day. He has sensed for a long time that he was meant to serve and teach the gospel to others and was very excited to receive the Priesthood and fulfill the calling he feels he received from God a long time ago. The Spirit was very strong throughout his baptismal service. He bore a beautiful testimony, then was confirmed and had the Aaronic Priesthood conferred upon him! A big day for a new convert, but no one else could have been more prepared. He knows that the Holy Ghost has been leading him the whole way. I am so grateful to have been a part of this experience and to be led by that same Spirit in teaching and guiding him. More than anything it taught me that conversion is something that occurs between investigators and their Father in Heaven, not between investigators and missionaries.
Sister White is my best friend. We love each other like David and Jonathan love each other in the Old Testament! Neither of us is perfect and we can both constantly feel Satan working on our companionship, but we love each other and the work too much to let him win. I will never be able to thank Sister White enough for what she has done for me this transfer. We reeeeeeeeeeally don't want to be separated next transfer. Unfortunately President hinted in interviews last week that my time here is drawing to a close. But I recognize that what the Lord wants for us, and what is best both for our happiness and that of others, is not always what we think it is or should be. I hope with all my heart that I can finish my mission with Sister White in Toms River, but I will follow the Lord's call if He should send me elsewhere, and I will do my best there as I have here. We'll know for sure what is happening next Monday morning! Six weeks never seemed shorter.
A new investigator about whom I am very excited is Debbie Falcone, and also her daughter, Amy. Debbie's son, Gordon, ordered a Book of Mormon online for her after his own whirlwind experience with the missionaries. Like Roy, he was taught and baptized in about three weeks, and it just so happens that he was baptized yesterday as well. Debbie says that he is basically a REALLY tough nut to crack and very cynical/skeptical about religious things, so she's really curious to know more about the church and what could have caused such a change in him. We told her about Roy and invited her to come to his baptism and see for herself what her son is going through, and she came! She seemed really pleased with it and readily set a return appointment with us. We are planning to take Roy with us. All he wants to do is come out with us and convert everyone! I love him so much.
It will be very sad if I am transferred. So many good things are happening right now and I feel like all my toil and labor of the last few months is finally coming to fruition. BUT. Such is the life of a missionary. I'm ok with it.
AND I AM SO EXCITED EXCITED FOR ELDER BEDNAR TO COMEASJFJASDFKLASDFL;AJSDFL;JASL;F KFHBGKWJDSZK!!!!!!!! I can't even imagine what he'll have to say to us. He has a reputation for calling missions out on disobedience, irreverence, and every other unholy and impure practice. So I'm hoping I have no reason to be scared.
I love you all. I'll have a lot to tell you next week. I hope my fingers can type fast enough for it.
WUB YOU!
Sister Black

No comments: